Creamy with a hint of cinnamon, these oats are a hearty, healthy way to fuel your day and a quick way to get out the door. Just toss everything in your slow cooker the night before and serve up a steamy hot bowl of oats the next morning. Enjoy a bowl as-is from the slow cooker or top your bowl with fresh fruit and nuts.
I don’t know what it is about a big bowl of oats that makes the world right. It just warms the soul. It’s great healthy fuel for your body and, really, versatile enough to please anyone’s taste buds. We are huge fans of oatmeal in our family – well, at least the girls and I – and we serve it up about once a week.
But truth be told, I don’t always want to get up before the rest of the house just to babysit a pot of oats. I’d really much rather catch a few more Zzzz’s.
So I love it when I can throw breakfast together in a snap and these overnight steel-cut oats are incredibly quick to toss together. Just assemble everything in the slow cooker before going to bed and the next morning there is a hearty bowl of gluten-free oats waiting to be devoured.
I remember my first encounter with steel-cut oats. I was in high school and steel-cut oats had just started to make their way onto the breakfast scene. Honestly, I was not impressed! I couldn’t get past the rubbery, chewy bite of the oats. And don’t get me started on the bland flavor. For years I avoided steel-cut oats because of this!
I am happy to report, though, that these overnight oats are NOT rubbery, or chewy. And the flavor is a balance of natural sweetness with lightly warmed cinnamon that is perfect for any season or topping.
To me, it doesn’t matter how delicious something is or how simple it is to prepare if I can’t feel good about eating it and feeding it to my family. This recipe covers all the bases for me.
- It’s a no-fuss recipe and that is ready to go when we are.
- It’s a clean meal with natural sweeteners like pure maple syrup and coconut sugar.
- It’s gluten-friendly when we use gluten-free steel-cut oats.
- And most importantly…everyone eats it!
(I would say I’m mom winning on all fronts right now.)
Overnight Gluten-Free Steel-Cut Oats
- 6 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 cups gluten-free steel-cut oats
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/8 cup coconut sugar*
- 3 tsp unsalted butter divided
- Slow Cooker
- Grease slow cooker vessel with 1 tsp of butter covering bottom and sides well.
- Add steel-cut oats, water, salt, cinnamon, coconut sugar, and maple syrup to crock.
- Cube remaining butter and add to oat mixture.
- Stir WELL to incorporate seasonings. Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve warm. Optional: Top with your favorite fruit and nuts.
Our favorite way to enjoy these spiced oats is topped with fresh blueberries and a few slivered almonds. To round everything out, I add a little turkey sausage on the side. (For my 21 Day Fix peeps, this helps fulfill my portion fix requirements.)
Geez Louise! I’m ready for breakfast just talking about it!
What will you top your overnight steel-cut oats with?